Important: While we transition from Flipgrid to Flip, it may take some time for the name of the app to change in the Canvas app store. Learn about Flip.
Flip has collaborated with Canvas to connect the 2 platforms and make it easier for leads to share Flip directly with their Canvas members. Learn more about what you can and can’t do with integration.
With this integration, leads can:
- Create Canvas assignments that are connected to Flip topics, so member videos show up in SpeedGrader.
- Give members access to those topics from their Canvas accounts.
When you're ready to begin, please follow these steps closely:
- Prepare to integrate
- Find your consumer key and shared secret
- Add the Flip app to your Canvas course
- Create a Canvas assignment that uses Flip
- Check that the Flip topic was created correctly
- Related resources
Step 1: Prepare to integrate
To make sure integration goes smoothly, complete the following:
- Leads must have their own Flipgrid and Canvas account.
- Flip account: Learn how to sign up for Flip.
- Canvas account: Make sure you have a “Teacher” account and not “Course Designer” or ”Administrator."
- If you’re an individual lead, you must install the integration yourself. A system-wide or admin-level setup will cause issues.
- You must create a new assignment in Canvas. You can’t integrate an already created assignment.
Step 2: Find your consumer key and shared secret
To connect Flip to Canvas you need a consumer key and shared secret from Flip. Learn how to find your consumer key and shared secret.
Step 3: Add the Flip app to your Canvas course
Important: You only need to add the Flip app to a Canvas course once. If you want to add a new Canvas course, you will have to go through this step again.
- Sign in to Canvas and select the course you want to integrate.
- In the left menu, click Settings. Then at the top, select Apps.
- In the search box enter "flipgrid". Then, click on Flipgrid.
- Click + Add app.
- In the box that opens in the screen enter a name for the installation ‘’such as “Flipgrid Account 1.”
- From your Flip settings integration, copy-paste the consumer key and shared secret in to Canvas.
- Click Add app.
Tip: If the App Store is disabled on your account, or if Flip doesn't appear as an option, learn how to add the Flip app manually.
Step 4: Create a Canvas Assignment that uses Flip
Important: You must create a new assignment for integration to work. The integration won't work if you simply change the settings for an existing assignment.
- In the left menu, click Assignments > + Assignment.
- Scroll to “Submission Type.” In the drop-down, select External tool.
- Under “Enter or find an External Tool URL,” click Find.
- Select your Flip installation and click Select.
- To have Flip open in a new tab: Next to “Load This Tool In A New Tab”, check the box.
- Enter the rest of the assignment details and options.
- At the bottom, click Save and publish.
Step 5: Check Flip for the new topic
When you create a Flip assignment, Flip automatically creates a new topic for you and connects it to the assignment. If this is your first Flip assignment in that course, Flip also creates a new group for the course and places the topic in the new group.
Important: You aren’t able to change which topic is connected to the assignment. You can't connect to a previously created topic.
- Find your new Flip topic.
- If you didn’t choose to open Flip in a new tab, after you create the assignment, the Flip topic is embedded in the assignment page.
- If you chose to open Flip in a new tab, click Load [Assignment name] in a new window.
- If you get a “Connect Flip to Canvas” message, click Create a Course Group. You may get this message when you created the first Flip assignment in that course.
- Tell your members to go to Canvas to access the Flip topic. They’re redirected to Flip from Canvas.
Your topic is available after you find it in Flip or embedded in your assignment page.
|Canvas LTI FAQs||
|Canvas LTI troubleshooting||
|Features and limitations of Canvas integration||
|Uninstall Canvas LTI integration||