Flip and Canvas have collaborated to connect their platforms and make it easier for educators to share Flip with their students.
- If Flip is not available in the app store, you can set up this integration to use Flip on Canvas.
- This article is intended for administrators. If you’re an educator, review the steps to set up the integration.
This integration lets educators:
- Create Canvas assignments and connect them to Flip topics: This will show student videos in SpeedGrader.
- Connect Flip topics to Canvas: This gives students access to Flip topics straight from their Canvas accounts.
When you're ready to begin, follow these steps:
- Prepare to integrate
- Find your consumer key and shared secret
- Add the Flip app to your Canvas Developer Apps
Step 1: Prepare to integrate
Make sure you have an active Flip and Canvas account. If you already have both accounts, skip to “Step 2: Find your consumer key & shared secret."
- When you set up the integration, use your school email associated to your Flip account.
- You won't receive notifications each time a teacher creates a Canvas course for a Flip assignment.
To create a:
- Flip account: Go to Flip and follow these steps.
Canvas account: Follow these steps to be added as an “Administrator.”
- Note: Do not create a “Course Designer” or “Teacher" account.
Step 2: Find your consumer key and shared secret
You can find your consumer key and shared secret when you create a new Canvas integration on Flip.
To create a new Canvas integration on Flip:
- Go to https:// flip.com and log in.
- At the top right click your Profile photo bubble > Integrations .
- Under “Canvas,” at the top, select “Create a new Canvas integration.”
- In the box that shows up, include an integration name.
- Tip: At the top, you’ll find your new “Consumer Key” and “Shared Secret.”
- Before you continue to “Step 3,” leave this Flip tab open.
Step 3: Add the Flip app to your Canvas Developer apps
- Sign into Canvas.
- On the left menu, click Admin.
- From the list that shows, select your district. For example, “Microsoft Education.”
- On the left, at the bottom, click Settings.
- On the top right, click the Apps tab.
- On the bottom right, in the search box, enter “Flip.”
- Click on Flip > +Add app.
- In the “Add App” box that opens, include:
- Name: Enter a name for the installation. For example, “Flip.”
- Consumer Key: Enter the “Consumer Key” from Step 2.
- Shared Secret: Enter the “Shared Secret” from Step 2.
- Click Add app.
- At the top, you’ll find a message that says “The app was added successfully.”
When you complete these steps, educators can connect Canvas assignments to Flip topics after they set up their own Canvas integration.
Canvas LTI FAQs
- How do students access the assignment?
- Can I split students into smaller groups within the course?
- Why is Flip missing from the sidebar in Canvas?
Canvas LTI troubleshooting
- Why are videos missing from SpeedGrader?
- What does the LTI launch error "Connect Flip to Canvas" with red rectangle mean?
- The camera won't open or is missing buttons on Flip
Features and limitations of the Canvas integration
- List of things you're able to do with the integration
Uninstall the Canvas LTI integration
- How to reset your integration if it isn't working
How students submit assignments on Canvas
- How Flip loads directly on Canvas
- Available Flip features on Canvas