You’re able to import or upload videos into Flip that you created outside of Flip. This can be helpful if you want to use a video camera outside of Flip, use video editing software, or combine multiple video clips into one video.
Note: You aren't able to post a video longer than the topic’s recording time limit. If you save a video to your profile, the time limit is 90 seconds.
How to import or upload a custom video clip
When you add a video clip it creates a Flip video. You’re able to add multiple video clips at once and even record additional footage in Flip after you upload your videos clips.
Note: You can only add music from the Flip library to uploaded clips on the Flip app. You aren’t able to do this with Flip for web.
- Open Flip.
- Choose whether you want to pose the video to a topic or post it to your profile.
- To post to a topic: Select the group > the topic where you want to post your video. Then, click Add response.
- To post to your profile: In the top right, click Camera .
- At the top right, click Upload .
- Upload your video clip.
- In the “Upload video” box, drag and drop your video file.
- Click in the “Upload video” box. Then, select the file you want to upload.
- Review your video clip.
- To trim the video clip: Click the clip bar. Click and drag the blue bars at the edge of the clip bar to adjust where you want to trim your clip. Then, at the bottom right, click Confirm.
- To add or record another video clip: At the right of the clip bar, click Add . Then, upload another video clip or record a new one.
- When you’re ready to post your video, at the bottom right, click Next.
- On the “Post video” screen, post or save your video.
- Open the Flip app.
- Choose whether you want to post the video to a topic or post it to your profile.
- To post to a topic: Select the group > the topic where you want to post your video. Then, tap Add response.
- To post to your profile: At the bottom, tap Camera .
- At the bottom left, tap Upload .
- From your phone’s video library, tap the video clip you want to upload.
- At the bottom right of the video clip, tap Choose.
- Review your video clip.
- To trim the video clip: Tap and drag the blue bars at either end of the clip bar.
- To split the video clip: Tap and drag the circle atop the white line to where you want to split the clip. Then, tap Split.
- To mirror your video clip: At the bottom, tap Mirror .
- To rotate the video image: At the bottom, tap Rotate. The image rotates 90 degrees clockwise.
- To add or record another video clip: At the bottom left, tap Add more . Then on the record screen, add a new video clip or record new content.
- When you’re ready to post your video, at the bottom right, tap Confirm.
- On the post video screen, post or save your video.
Video upload details
- Flip currently supports MP4, MOV, and WEBM video formats.
- The maximum size of an import for an imported file is 500 mb.
- Chromebooks do not support MOV files.
- To avoid issues when you import a video, make sure your web browser or Flip app is up to date.
- If you have issues, try to convert your video with a free video converter, such as https://convert-video-online.com/.