Flip and Canvas have collaborated to connect their platforms and make it easier for educators to share Flip with their Canvas students.
This integration lets educators:
- Create Canvas assignments and connect them to Flip topics: This will show student videos in SpeedGrader.
- Connect Flip topics to Canvas: This gives students access to Flip topics straight from their Canvas accounts.
When you're ready to begin, follow these steps:
- Prepare to integrate
- Find your consumer key and shared secret
- Add the Flip app to your Canvas Developer apps
- Create a Canvas assignment that uses Flip
- Check that the Flip topic was created correctly
Step 1: Prepare to integrate
Make sure you have an active Flip and Canvas account. If you already have both accounts, skip to “Step 2: Find your consumer key & shared secret."
To create a:
- Flip account: Go to Flip and follow these steps.
- Canvas account: Go to Canvas and create a “Teacher” account.
Note: Do not create a “Course Designer” or “Administrator” account.
Step 2: Find your consumer key and shared secret
You can find your consumer key and shared secret when you create a new Canvas integration on Flip.
To create a new Canvas integration on Flip:
- Go to https:// flip.com and log in.
- At the top right click your Profile photo bubble > Integrations .
- Under “Canvas,” at the top, select “Create a new Canvas integration.”
- In the box that shows up, include an integration name. You can name it similarly to the name of the course you want to integrate on Canvas.
- Tip: At the top, you’ll find your new “Consumer Key” and “Shared Secret.”
- Before you continue to “Step 3,” leave this Flip tab open.
Step 3: Add the Flip app to your Canvas Developer apps
- You only need to add the Flip app to a Canvas course once. If you want to add a new Canvas course, you will have to go through these steps again.
- You must create a new assignment in Canvas. You can’t integrate an already created assignment.
- Sign into Canvas and go to your dashboard.
- Select the course you want to integrate.
- In the left menu, click Settings. Then at the top, select Apps.
- In the search box enter "Flip". Then, click on Flip.
- Note: If your district has not installed Flip, you can do it yourself.
- Click + Add app.
- In the “Add App” box that opens, include:
- Name: Enter a name for the installation. For example, “Flip account 1.”
- Consumer Key: Enter the “Consumer Key” from Step 2.
- Shared Secret: Enter the “Shared Secret” from Step 2.
- Click Add app.
Note: If the App Store is disabled on your account, or if Flip doesn't appear as an option, learn how to add the Flip app manually.
Step 4: Create a Canvas Assignment that uses Flip
You must create a new assignment for the integration to work.
Important: The integration won't work if you simply change the settings for an existing assignment.
- On the left menu, at the top, click Assignments.
- On the top right, click + Assignment.
- You must fill out “Assignment Name” and “Submission Type.” All other details are optional.
- Under “Submission Type:”
- Click the dropdown and select External tool.
- Under “Enter or find an External Tool URL,” click Find.
- Scroll down to select “Flip.” This will integrate Flip to the assignment.
- Next to the checkbox “Load This Tool In A New Tab:”
- Check the box: If you want Flip to open in a new tab when students access Flip on Canvas.
- Do not check the box: If you want students to find Flip embedded on Canvas.
- At the bottom, click Save and publish.
Step 5: Check that the Flip topic was created correctly
When you create a Flip assignment, Flip automatically creates a new topic for you and connects it to the assignment. If this is your first Flip assignment in that course, Flip also places the topic in a new group.
Important: You can't select an existing Flip topic and connect it to a Canvas assignment.
Depending on how you set up “Load This Tool in a New Tab” in Step 4:
- If you didn’t check the box to open in a new tab: After you create the Canvas assignment, the Flip topic is embedded in the Canvas assignment page.
- If you checked the box to open Flip in a new tab: After you create the Canvas assignment, to open Flip in a new window, click “Load [Assignment name] in a new window.”
- If this was your first Canvas assignment with Flip: You may get a “Connect Flip to Canvas” message. To connect Flip to Canvas, click Create a Course Group.
Canvas LTI FAQs
- How do students access the assignment?
- Can I split students into smaller groups within the course?
- Why is Flip missing from the sidebar in Canvas?
Canvas LTI troubleshooting
- Why are videos missing from SpeedGrader?
- What does the LTI launch error "Connect Flip to Canvas" with red rectangle mean?
- The camera won't open or is missing buttons on Flip
Features and limitations of the Canvas integration
- List of things you're able to do with the integration
Uninstall the Canvas LTI integration
- How to reset your integration if it isn't working
How students submit assignments on Canvas
- How Flip loads directly on Canvas
- Available Flip features on Canvas