The Flip camera is the heart of Flip. The camera features help you creatively share your voice, ideas, and more. Learn about the different ways and tools you can use to create your video below.
Important: Some camera features and their location may differ depending on the device you use for Flip.
Get started with the camera
After you open the camera, you can record yourself, record a video with only sound or images, and record your device’s screen. You can record your entire video all at once, or record multiple clips which you can trim or delete. Learn more about how to create and post a video.
Note: Some features may not be available on all devices.
When you first open the camera you can record your video immediately. If you don't want to record video and audio, you can switch between camera modes at any time before you record a clip. The camera has 3 different camera modes:
- Video mode: Record both the video and audio from your device's camera and microphone. This is the default mode when you open the camera.
- Audio mode: Record only the audio from your device's microphone. Your device's camera is turned off in this mode.
- Create mode: Record only the camera effects you want to use. Both your device's camera and microphone are turned off.
After you select your mode, at the bottom, select Record . To let you know you're recording, Record changes to Stop record . To stop recording, select Stop record . This creates a clip.
Note: If you want to record another clip, you can change your mode, and select Record again.
Important: Some camera features and their location may differ depending on whether you’re on a phone or tablet and if your device is iOS or Android.
Before you record, you’re able to choose your video’s orientation. To create a video in portrait or landscape mode, rotate your device.
The hardware dock is only available on the Flip app. This dock is located at the top right of the camera. It lets you choose whether you want to use your selfie camera or back-facing camera, if you want to use flash for your back camera, and your mute options.
Note: If you use Flip on your phone and your phone is rotated to landscape, the Hardware dock shows up at the top left.
- Switch camera : Choose whether to use your selfie camera or back camera.
- Flash : Turn the back camera’s flash on or off.
You can find additional camera options to help you create your video.
To find your camera options:
- Web: At the top right. To find some of these options, you may have to click Options .
- iPhones and Android phones: To open the drawer, go to the Effects dock, tap Options and the drawer opens at the bottom.
- iPads and other tablets: At the top right.
Note: Depending on the type of device you use, the options and their location may differ.
- Notes : Take on-screen notes while you record or as you watch your video back. These notes don’t show up in your video. On Flip on web, you can find this at the top right, next to options.
- Record screen : Share your screen (available on Edge and Chrome) and present your Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides, a news article, and more.
- Mirror video : You can flip the camera to make sure that any text you record isn't backwards.
- Mute : Turn off the microphone to only record video with your camera.
- Device Settings : Flip on web only. You can select the camera and microphone input you want to use to record your video. You can also make sure the volume detected by your selected microphone isn't too loud or soft.
Make your videos stand out
Flip lets you do a lot more than just record yourself. You can add a camera color filter, background, draw on the screen, upload a video you already made in another video creation app, and a lot more. Show off just how informative, creative, and unique you are.
Use the different effects to make your video more informative and fun. You can find all the effects either at the bottom, next to Record , or at the right of the screen, in the Effects dock. To display all the effects in the Effects dock, select the down arrow .
When you record your video, you are able to add most effects at any time - before, during, or after recording. If you change your camera mode, your effects stay on screen until you remove them.
Note: Some camera effects and their location may differ depending on the device you use and the camera mode you select.
- Lens or Audio mode styles: Add a lens to your camera. These lenses add images and animations in the foreground and background of your camera. Audio mode styles change the background style.
- Some lenses interact with what you do on camera, such as the American Sign Language lens that spells out words on-screen as you sign them with your hands.
- Backdrop : Add a backdrop to hide what’s going on in the background of your video.
- Text : Add on-screen text to your video with various fonts and colors you can choose.
- Ink : Draw on the video while you record. You’re able to choose the color and thickness of the line.
- Stickers : Add one or multiple stickers to the recording. Browse the library or search for a specific one.
- GIF : Search for and add a gif or animation to express how you're feeling.
- Photo : Add a custom image from your device to the camera.
- Filter : Apply a filter to the camera to change the color and style of the image in your video. Filters include rainbow, pixel, black and white, and more.
- Board : Split your screen with a whiteboard, chalkboard, graph paper, or other image. Use this area to add other effects and showcase your ideas.
Note: You're able to resize emojis, text, pen lines, and images. Select the effect and use on-screen controls, the mouse, or touch to adjust.
In the camera next to Record you can choose to upload a video you already created in a different video creation app. The video you upload will be a single clip in the new video you create. To upload a video:
- Flip on web: At the top right, click Upload video . Then, choose the video file from your computer you want to upload.
- The Flip app: At the bottom, tap Upload video . Then, from your photo library, choose the video you want to upload.
After you record a video, you can edit it. To make your videos flow better, you can split and trim your video clips. You can also rotate and mirror your video after you record it. Learn more about how to edit your video.
After you record your video, you’re able to add music before you submit it. Select Add music . On the Flip app, Add music is at the bottom of your screen. Add instrumental music tracks from Flip directly to make sure your video represents exactly what you want. Learn more about how to add music.